Sunday 4 September 2011

Muhibbah Talk! Interviewing Family on Interracial Relationships

Oh Raya was so fun! ^^ The food, the fireworks, the duit raya, the clothes, the duit raya, have I mentioned on the duit raya? Good thing I have a huge family from both sides : p It's also the only time where I can hang out with them the whole day, so it gets really crowded during the day! Speaking of families, I've interviewed some of them on a certain topic like the title suggested. And that topic is how does Raya foster interracial and inter religious friendships between family members as well as fellow Malaysians. With that said, below is the interview between myself and two of my family members: my grandma, my auntie and my dad, where they share their experiences on the subject

Dad

"I remembered my first year in University. I went to the University of Tennessee, and it's a different experience all together when you celebrate Raya in a foreign country. Unlike Malaysia, Raya was not as lively and over there is a one day affair (but in actuality, Raya is supposed to be celebrated for one day, but it's the Malaysian custom to celebrate and make open houses for the whole month). Seeing as the Muslim community is fairly small, all Muslim students (including local and foreign students like myself), Black Americans, Iranians, Arabians, Indonesians and Malaysians all gathered together and made a pot luck party. "

"Right after Raya prayers,  each one of us brought their own food, some even cook and brought their own local delicacies. The spread of food was wide and very delicious. I can still remember the foreigners' faces when they ate our spicy rendang and sambal *laughs*. Even with the different race, color and culture (for example, some foreigners salam differently, Arabs just straight out hug you when they greet), we as Muslims still can create a wonderful Raya experience. "


Nenek

"I remember in some Rayas, I will invite some of my non-Muslim friends to our open house. They will bring their families and we would chat and catch up the entire day. One of my friends married a Chinese woman that just converted, she took a while to get used to puasa and the traditions in Hari Raya. But after the first year, she's already a natural in this Raya business."


My uncle married a Chinese woman as well (she's an rocking awesome aunt btw ^^)
Auntie Nickie

 My uncle converted first before me, so I had a good idea on Hari Raya. But there are differences here and there, like who should be given the ang pau, asking for forgiveness instead of tea ceremonies and wishing your elders will and the food! I need to get used to eating spicy food! But, it is fairly easy to adapt, my new family was really supportive to help me feel right at home. Speaking of family, mine now celebrate both Hari Raya and Chinese New Year, they sometimes come to my in-laws' open house if they don't plan to balik kampung during that year. So now, I have to give out a LOT of ang pow every year *laughs*
 


Islam is a religion that promotes brotherhood, within their people and inter religious relationships. That is why Raya is a good opportunity to spend time with your family as well as invite your friends to enjoy ourselves. So yeah, Raya is sooo much fun AND rewarding (in more ways than one : p), I had so much fun that I almost completely forgotten about the finals at the end of the mon-
.............



Enjoy the holidays while you can folks.......

Shaq


No comments:

Post a Comment